Here are just a few things to help you have the best of times in Ottawa while attending ClimaCon!
The ClimaCon conference will take place September 28-29 at All Saints Event Space, (315 Chapel Street entrance), in Ottawa. A gala event on September 27, held jointly with the Canadian Council for International Cooperation, will take place at Library and Archives Canada, 395 Wellington St.
Things to Do in Ottawa
Coffee, Sandwiches and Snacks
Coffee is the fuel behind any conference. (We have that on good authority from a self-described coffee addict on the ClimaCon steering committee.) Fortunately, there are places at the venue and nearby to get your fix:
- The Guild Room, on site at All Saints, is the facility's 7-day a week coffee shop, open 7:30 am to 9 pm.
- The Happy Goat Coffee Shop, a 5-minute walk from All Saints at 317 Wilbrod Street, is open 7:30 am to 7 pm.
Some affordable, mostly vegetarian or vegan suggestions from the ClimaCON steering committee:
- Perfection, Satisfaction, Promise, 167 Laurier Ave.
- Café Nostalgica, a campus restaurant at the corner of University Private and Cumberland St.
- Govinda’s Vegetarian Buffet, 212 Somerset St. E.
- Horn of Africa Ethiopian restaurant, 364 Rideau St., offers an affordable vegan menu (meat extra)
- Ahora Mexican Cuisine, 307 Dalhousie St.
- Pure Kitchen vegetarian/vegan food and juice bar, 340 Elgin St.
- Ceylonta, full vegan and non-vegan menu, 403 Somerset St. W.
- Blossom Vegetarian Café, 209 Gilmour St.
- The Green Door Vegetarian Restaurant, 198 Main St.
The conference registration desk will be located outside Borden Hall, the main plenary hall at the venue. There you'll be able to fill out a name tag, gather conference materials, and sign-up to hear about next steps.
You’ll fill out a conference badge when you arrive at the registration desk. Please wear it at all times during the conference, and bring it along to any offsite functions. Pro tip: Remember to take off your badge when you step outside the meeting space. It identifies you as someone from away and broadcasts your name to passersby.
If you’re a speaker, please plan to arrive at the conference at least 45 minutes before your session begins, and check in at the registration desk as soon as you arrive. Pro tip: If you can, we recommend that you attend as much of the conference as you can (especially sessions that take place before yours), to get a better idea of what panelists and participants are talking about.
Hashtags and Social Media Sites
If you’re on social media during the conference, you’ll find ClimaCon at these sites:
Climate Action Network - Réseau action climat Canada is @CANRacCanada on Twitter.
Please use these hashtags if you’re tweeting or posting about the conference:
Ottawa temperatures in late September are often fairly temperate, with temperatures in the range of 15°C-20°C. There's a high likelihood of rain at some point in the day, so bring a light to medium jacket or sweater and consider rain gear. Based on past history (right…weather is not climate), snow is very unlikely at this time of year. So close to the autumnal equinox, days and nights are about equal in duration with sunrise at 6:56 am and sunset at 6:50 pm.
Grocery stores closest to our venue are:
- People's Food Coop: A corner store/convenience store just one block from All Saints. Its located at 304 Wilbrod St. From All Saints go north one short block on Chapel St., past the playground and Laurier House, turn left on Wilbrod and its on the corner of the next block. It shares space with the Pet Food Coop. It's a workers co-op and thus users do not need a membership. Hours: Monday to Friday: 9:30 to 7:00, Saturday: 10 to 6, Sunday: Noon to 5, Holidays: closed
- Loblaws: A major grocery store chain a 10 to 15 minute walk from All Saints. It is located at 363 Rideau St. From All Saints, go north on Chapel past the playground and Laurier House for five short blocks. Turn left at the traffic light on Rideau St for 1.5 blocks. It has a small natural food section, wine kiosk (Wine Rack) and pharmacy as well as the usual chain grocery store items. The store is open 24/7, wine kiosk 9 to 11 and pharmacy Monday to Friday 9 to 9, Saturday 9 to 6, Sunday 10 to 6.
Safi's grocery store: 322 Somerset St. E., open weekdays 8am to 9pm. Fruit and vegetables, grocery staples, Middle Eastern treats.
Pharmacies closest to the venue are:
- Pharmasave Astleys: An independent pharmacy located at 423 Rideau St at Chapel. Go north on Chapel from All Saints past the playground and Laurier House for five short blocks. Hours: Monday to Friday: 9 to 7:30, Saturday: 9:30 to 5, Sunday: closed.
- Rideau Pharmacy: An independent pharmacy located at 390 Rideau St. From All Saints go north on Chapel past the playground and Laurier House for five short blocks. Turn left at the traffic light on Rideau St for 1.5 blocks. It is on the corner across from Loblaws. Hours: Monday to Friday: 9 to 8, Saturday: 9 to 4, Sunday 9 to 3.
- Rideau Centre Shoppers Drug Mart: This pharmacy, located at 50 Rideau St in the Rideau Centre shopping mall near the Byward Market, has the longest hours: Monday to Friday: 7 to 11, Saturday and Sunday: 9 to 9.
The nearest hospital:
The Montfort Hospital is located at 713 Montreal Road, which is an extension of Rideau St, just 5 short blocks north of All Saints. The Montfort is a truly bilingual Hospital as its Ontario's Francophone teaching hospital. The #19 bus gives you door to door service. It goes past All Saints on Laurier Avenue and drops you off right at the front door of the hospital by a slightly circuitous route that takes about 20 minutes. The # 12 bus goes along Rideau St and Montreal Rd in less than 15 minutes. It stops on Montreal Rd and its a short walk up the hospital driveway from the bus stop.